- Universal access to energy Increasing access to modern energy services for poor households in Eastern Africa
- Food security, agriculture and disaster risk reduction Scaling up work on resilience to disasters and maximising the impacts of devolved governance
- Urban services: water, sanitation and waste management services increasing access to adequate water and sanitation facilities
- Gender and Social Inclusion addressing gender inequity/inequality on how communities access technology and services
- Climate Change build the capacity of vulnerable people in Eastern Africa to adapt to the impacts of climate chan...
- Market systems development building ‘prosperous communities within Eastern Africa’ region through sustainable market systems
Practical Action Eastern Africa Regional Office has been delivering technology as its niche in the region for over 25 years. Throughout the period, we have leveraged best practices learnt that yield high impact at scale into our programmes. We deliver our work through three Goal areas:
- Universal access to energy will increase access to modern energy services for cooking, lighting, communication and productive uses for poor households in Eastern Africa.
- Food security, Agriculture and Disaster Risk Reduction will scale up work on resilience to disasters, community based extension and maximising the impacts of devolved governance and funding.
- Water, sanitation and waste management services for urban dwellers will seek to increase access to basic services such as adequate water and sanitation facilities.
In addition to our Goals, we have three cross-cutting themes. These include: Gender and social Inclusion, Climate Change and Market Systems Development.
We also have two arms through which we scale up our operations and models from our work and that of others: Practical Action Consulting through which we will replicate knowledge generated from our programmes outside our operational areas to others; and
Practical Answers, a demand-driven free-of-charge service, provides customised information and knowledge products to individual enquirers through different media and formats.
Grace Mukasa is the Regional Director.
Practical Action Partners with Arid Lands Information Network
Practical Action Eastern Africa and Arid Lands Information Network (ALIN) Kenya have mutually beneficial partnership working with each other’s comparative advantage to enhance dissemination of knowledge products and services. In particular, Practical Action has worked with ALIN Maarifa Centres to disseminate knowledge products and services.