Please let us know how you got to this page?
Big change starts small.
We combine three approaches to help people solve some of the world’s toughest problems. We work as:
- Problem-solvers, working hand in hand with individuals, communities and local organisations to tackle the causes of poverty
- Knowledge sharers, getting fresh answers and practical resources into the hands of the people who need them most
- Expert advisers, providing professionals and policy makers with development advice
This combination of different ways of working enables us to turn small solutions into big change for millions of people.
Work that works
We always start small. We gain an understanding of the needs of people trapped in poverty and the systemic factors that keep them there.
- We work with communities and expert partners to develop ingenious solutions to bring about real and lasting change.
- We bring together community members, private companies, local government and policy makers to put the plans into action in collaborative approaches that meets everyone’s needs.
- We pilot and refine until we discover solutions that really work. Then we share them with others so they can achieve even more.
Knowledge that inspires
Knowledge is power – and it should be available to everyone. We share ours and our partners’ through a range of services:
- Practical Answers is our technical information service, sharing knowledge about appropriate, small-scale technologies that improve the lives of people living in poverty.
- Practical Action Publishing is our specialist independent publisher, distributing development books and journals to practitioners and researchers in over 100 countries.
- Our free, downloadable teaching resources for primary and secondary schools inspire pupils to learn about global issues.
Policy and consulting
Expertise for Impact
Drawing on our experience gained in our projects and the knowledge of our technical experts, we advise practitioners and policy makers around the world.
- Practical Action Consulting is our specialist provider of technical assistance to development practitioners, national and local governments and the private sector.
- Our Policy and Practice team inform policy making at global, national and local levels so that decisions made are of maximum benefit to the poorest and most vulnerable people.
In sharing our knowledge and expertise with others, we multiply our impact.