The Adaptation Futures Conference series is the premier international conference devoted entirely to climate change adaptation, bringing together researchers, policymakers, practitioners, industry representatives and communicators to present their work on adaptation, discuss emerging and cutting-edge issues, learn from peers, and build networks.
More than 1500 members of the climate change adaptation community from around the world gather in Montreal to share their knowledge on the challenges and opportunities of adaptation.
AF2023 will be a critical meeting point to advance discussion about climate change adaptation in an increasingly complex world. Join Practical Action as we share the latest insights, innovations and practical solutions from our adaptation research, policy engagement and work on-the-ground alongside global partners and communities on the frontlines of climate change.
Compound, cascading and complex climate risks and their impacts: getting from methodological advancements to practical outcomes.
- Tuesday 3rd 14:30-16:00
- Partners: IIASA, Deltares, UNU, University of Cape Town, German Red Cross, Jadavpur University, SEI.
- Session: 205
- Presenting examples of the latest methodological advancements for the assessment and management of compound, cascading, and complex climate risks and their impacts.
- Discussing what needs to be done to translate these methodological advancements to practical outcomes, and provide entry points for adaptation and transformation.
Measuring the resilience of communities to climate impacts and using this knowledge to adapt
- Tuesday 3rd 16:30-18:00
- Partners: (Zurich Flood Resilience Alliance Event): IIASA, ISET, Plan International, Mercy Corps, LSE.
- Session: 455
- Sharing experiences of the resilience measurement framework its benefits and challenges
- How the resilience measurement framework has guided interventions in the communities facing climate hazards
- How adaptation to climate impacts be dovetailed into other development processes to deliver long term holistic development outcomes
- Discussing what are the opportunities and challenges that influence the scale up of resilience measurement?
How to incentivise financing for a resilient recovery
- Wednesday 4th 08:30-10:00
- Partners: (Zurich Flood Resilience Alliance Event): Mercy Corps, ISET, TERI.
- Session: 617
- Sharing experiences from Practical Action’s Post Event Review of Capability (PERC) studies in Nepal and Senegal
- The scale at which climate impacts are eroding development gains
- Discussing how to shift from a reliance on response to better development and what this looks like
- Discussing how to shift from corrective risk reduction to a prospective risk reduction and the long term economic benefits of this approach and the challenges to overcoming short termism
Avoiding maladaptation in the Global Goal on Adaptation, what can we learn from community level adaptation to inform more effective practice and thus shape the GGA to be fit for purpose
- Wednesday 4th 10:30-12:00
- Partners: Griffith University.
- Session: 642
- How is adaptation and development more broadly negotiated at community level and what knowledge is brought in to inform the process?
- How do different groups come together to figure out what effective adaptation means?
- Would thinking about maladaptation help make better adaptation choices?
The future of maladaptation research and implementation
- Thursday 5th 08:30-10:00
- Partners: University of Bonn, Germany, University of Twente, Netherlands, Indian Institute for Human Settlements, India and Indian Institute of Technology, India.
- Session: 691
- How can we best avoid maladaptation in practice, what do we need to look out for?
- How has the knowledge of maladaptation been integrated into adaptation planning?
- How has knowledge of maladaptation influenced practitioners actions to help vulnerable people?