- Our energy work in pictures Practical Action works with communities to provide sustainable energy solutions.
- Access to energy transforms lives Our East Africa Director, Grace Mukasa, explains the vital importance of access to energy
- Poor people's energy outlook Improved energy access can make to vital community services such as health, education, water and ...
Energy access transforms lives
Despite the availability of technical solutions, 1.3 billion people are still without any form of electricity and 3 billion people still cook over open fires.
Practical Action provides practical power: renewable, locally-sourced sustainable energy solutions which lift people out of poverty.
- Energy enables people to work their way out of poverty.
- Energy provides better access to education and other basic services.
- Energy improves health and wellbeing, especially for women and children.
Practical Action’s energy projects provide...
- access to electricity (via solar, wind and micro hydro power)
- more efficient stoves that require less fuel and generate less smoke
- more job opportunities for local people
Practical Action is committed to Total Energy Access, because we know from our work on the ground that energy is a powerful solution to poverty.
Practical Action aims to increase poor people's access to energy, through improving the efficiency of stoves, and through small-scale, low-cost, off-grid electricity supply.
We work closely with communities to help them develop technical improvements, such as low cost cooking stoves to improve upon the traditional three-stone cooking fires, and to reduce indoor air pollution by developing smoke hoods.