Agricultural development – a powerful way to end poverty
Three quarters of the world’s poorest people are farmers, and vulnerable to the effects of climate change – from floods to droughts to changing weather patterns. To meet these challenges, we must develop long-term plans and solutions to help them succeed. With your help, we can.
We can equip smallholder farmers like Shuwiso with easy-to-adopt solutions like Pfumvudza – allowing them to feed their entire families for a year from a relatively small plot of land.
With planet-friendly farming techniques, farmers can thrive, even in the face of climate change.
Previously, Shuwiso (pictured) was struggling to feed her family due to the changing climate and unpredictable weather patterns. But thanks to Pfumvudza, Shuwiso’s now able to provide for her loved ones all year round, and has since bought livestock and built a new home!
Sustainable solutions that help grow success
We’re working with farmers around the world to improve their crops and incomes. Our work with farmers like Mohit (pictured) in Bangladesh is another success story. Climate change means that farmland can be under water for half the year, leaving farming families without food and income.
The solution is a ‘floating garden’. This ingenious farming method capitalises on flooded land by using it to farm fish in nets. Meanwhile, floating plants are used as ‘rafts’ on which to grow climate-hardy vegetable varieties. Now, Mohit is growing nutritious food for his family and has additional income to buy necessities.
Floating gardens are one of many transformative techniques that you can help support, creating huge change for communities.
“I saw the same challenges faced by smallholder farmers that I’d experienced growing up. I also saw that small, locally-owned and run solutions were often the most successful”
– Kudzai Marovanidze, Practical Action, Zimbabwe
A combination that works around the world
We’ve seen this combination of training in both agriculture and business skills work for communities around the world. A combination that leads to communities thriving, even in the conditions created climate change. A combination that leads to self-sufficiency and the ability to plan for the future.
From creating access to safe cooking in Sudan to helping coffee farmers in Peru regenerate their land to installing early flood warning systems in Bangladesh – your gift will help families around the world unlock long-term opportunities. It will support us as we use ingenious, small-scale solutions to fuel big change.
Thank you for helping us create a world that works better for everyone.
We believe in possible
We know that ingenuity can tackle the world’s toughest problems. We’ve worked with communities to prove it’s possible to:
- Turn desert into lush fields in Sudan, so farmers can thrive despite climate change
- Replant areas of rainforest in Peru, so coffee growers can succeed sustainably
- Turn plastic waste into fuel in Bangladesh, cleaning up slums and rivers and creating jobs
It’s what we’ve been doing for over 50 years.
But we need to do more
People living in poor communities have never faced such a tough reality.
- Climate change has caused an increase in devastating floods, storms and landslides. We can help communities avoid disaster.
- Permanent changes to temperature and rainfall are making farming almost impossible. We can help farmers adapt and thrive.
- The long term impact of coronavirus is pushing millions deeper into poverty. We can help create jobs, improve incomes and boost businesses.
You support will help make this possible.
Your gift will go further than you imagine
Regular support through monthly giving will:
- Provide us with the predictable income we need to embark on ambitious long-term projects with communities around the world.
- Allow us to pioneer innovative approaches that can be replicated elsewhere, by other development groups and governments.
- Enable us to unlock grants from large donors, such as the UK Government and UN bodies.
Feel part of the change
You’ll feel involved and inspired by the work your support is making possible.
- We’ll bring you uplifting updates from the communities we work with, our teams who work alongside them and our technical experts.
- We’ll keep you up to date with the progress and some of the big global issues through email updates and our supporter magazine
- You can delve into content on our website and join the conversation on our social media channels.
For every £1 we receive in donations, just 9 pence is spent on fundraising. The remaining 91% is spent on charitable activities, including 1% on essential governance.
(2018/19 audited accounts, produced to Charity Commission norms).
We are trusted by the UK and overseas governments who fund some of our projects, along with major foundations, corporations and UN bodies.