“Namaste, I’m Pooja Chaudhary, a farmer in Dang in Nepal. I live here with my husband, our son and my husband’s parents.”
Pooja, like many people in Nepal’s remote regions, relies on her small farm for food and income.
“I’m facing problems due to climate change,” she told us. “These days it rains less often but when it does rain, it pours for days. We don’t have any inkling about how to do farming in these conditions.”
“It hurts when the vegetables don’t grow as expected in spite of our hard work. Sometimes it’s the rain that kills them and sometimes it’s a drought. Farming is getting harder every year as the climate changes.”
With your support, farmers like Pooja can succeed.
You can be part of an innovative five-point plan to help thousands of farmers like Pooja overcome the cycles of floods and droughts that destroy their crops and incomes.
Better seeds would make Pooja’s crops more resilient to new weather patterns. Solar-power could water her fields during dry periods. Training in new farming techniques would mean bigger harvests – enough to feed her family, with extra to sell. Vegetable cable cars could move farmer’s produce to market in minutes, not hours. New business skills would bring opportunities to earn more. And with a bigger say in community decision making, women like Pooja could shine.
We believe in possible
We know that ingenuity can tackle the world’s toughest problems. We’ve worked with communities to prove it’s possible to:
- Turn desert into lush fields in Sudan, so farmers can thrive despite climate change
- Replant areas of rainforest in Peru, so coffee growers can succeed sustainably
- Turn plastic waste into fuel in Bangladesh, cleaning up slums and rivers and creating jobs
It’s what we’ve been doing for over 50 years.
But we need to do more
People living in poor communities have never faced such a tough reality.
- Climate change has caused an increase in devastating floods, storms and landslides. We can help communities avoid disaster.
- Permanent changes to temperature and rainfall are making farming almost impossible. We can help farmers adapt and thrive.
- The long term impact of coronavirus is pushing millions deeper into poverty. We can help create jobs, improve incomes and boost businesses.
You support will help make this possible.
Your gift will go further than you imagine
Regular support through monthly giving will:
- Provide us with the predictable income we need to embark on ambitious long-term projects with communities around the world.
- Allow us to pioneer innovative approaches that can be replicated elsewhere, by other development groups and governments.
- Enable us to unlock grants from large donors, such as the UK Government and UN bodies.
Feel part of the change
You’ll feel involved and inspired by the work your support is making possible.
- We’ll bring you uplifting updates from the communities we work with, our teams who work alongside them and our technical experts.
- We’ll keep you up to date with the progress and some of the big global issues through email updates and our supporter magazine
- You can delve into content on our website and join the conversation on our social media channels.
For every £1 we receive in donations, just 9 pence is spent on fundraising. The remaining 91% is spent on charitable activities, including 1% on essential governance.
(2018/19 audited accounts, produced to Charity Commission norms).
We are trusted by the UK and overseas governments who fund some of our projects, along with major foundations, corporations and UN bodies.