Following crises such as disasters and conflicts, rebuilding work should adopt practices that:
- Promote a hands on approach to reconstruction;
- Make best use of local skills, institutions and resources in order to build back better;
- Include disaster risk assessments and decentralised disaster risk reduction into reconstruction processes to lessen vulnerability to future risks;
- Promote the recovery of market systems that will build back local livelihoods;
- Enable a more cost-effective and sustainable recovery.