Giving Tuesday is a day where everyone, everywhere can take part in doing something for a good cause. Are you planning on getting involved this Giving Tuesday?
What is Giving Tuesday?
Giving Tuesday is an annual day of giving that falls on the first Tuesday after the well-known shopping day, Black Friday (the fourth week of November). It acts as a charitable antidote to the consumer focus of Black Friday.
The ethos of Giving Tuesday is simple – to do and spread good. It’s a day to celebrate good deeds and give back to something you believe in.
Since its creation in 2012, Giving Tuesday has raised billions for non-profit organisations around the world. Currently, it runs in 30 countries.
Your good deed can come in any form – from helping a friend, volunteering in your local community, or championing a cause close to your heart. Whatever act of selflessness you choose to carry out, you can be a part of Giving Tuesday.
Why should I support Practical Action?
Our goal is a world that works better for everyone. We support communities around the world suffering from the worst effects of climate change. We offer sustainable solutions for agriculture, climate resilience, clean energy and water and waste. We believe small steps can lead to big change and that everyone can play their part. By sharing our expertise across these areas, we’ll ensure communities around the world can thrive within the planet’s means.
With your support, we can…
…prepare for more extreme weather
A Giving Tuesday gift from you could enable more people like Karuna in rural Nepal to protect others from flooding made worse by climate change. Your help would mean we could work with more climate-vulnerable communities to build and maintain early warning systems so they have more time to prepare and protect themselves – preventing natural hazards turning into disasters.
…adapt to the new climate reality
With your support, more smallholder farmers like Jawaher in Sudan achieve a decent standard of living, while building natural resources. Your donation could drive the regreening of more farmland lost to the desert due to climate change, increasing food security for whole communities.
…replenish and reuse natural resources
Play a part in our work linking communities, energy providers and decision makers to put clean energy solutions to work for the people who need them most. With your help, we can work with more people like Aklima, who is supporting her family with the money she earns converting waste into compost and bio-fuel in Bangladesh.
How can I get involved this Giving Tuesday?
- Give a gift from our wishlist to help transform the lives of people for years to come.
- Become a regular supporter or give a one off donation to help people withstand the worst effects of climate change.
- Fundraise for us – from sports events to baking, there are loads of ways you can get involved.
- Spread the word on social media – use #GivingTuesday and connect with us on our social channels.
JOIN THE TEAM MAKING CHANGE HAPPEN
We believe in possible
We know that ingenuity can tackle the world’s toughest problems. We’ve worked with communities to prove it’s possible to:
- Turn desert into lush fields in Sudan, so farmers can thrive despite climate change
- Replant areas of rainforest in Peru, so coffee growers can succeed sustainably
- Turn plastic waste into fuel in Bangladesh, cleaning up slums and rivers and creating jobs
It’s what we’ve been doing for over 50 years.
But we need to do more
People living in poor communities have never faced such a tough reality.
- Climate change has caused an increase in devastating floods, storms and landslides. We can help communities avoid disaster.
- Permanent changes to temperature and rainfall are making farming almost impossible. We can help farmers adapt and thrive.
- The long term impact of coronavirus is pushing millions deeper into poverty. We can help create jobs, improve incomes and boost businesses.
You support will help make this possible.
Your gift will go further than you imagine
Regular support through monthly giving will:
- Provide us with the predictable income we need to embark on ambitious long-term projects with communities around the world.
- Allow us to pioneer innovative approaches that can be replicated elsewhere, by other development groups and governments.
- Enable us to unlock grants from large donors, such as the UK Government and UN bodies.
Feel part of the change
You’ll feel involved and inspired by the work your support is making possible.
- We’ll bring you uplifting updates from the communities we work with, our teams who work alongside them and our technical experts.
- We’ll keep you up to date with the progress and some of the big global issues through email updates and our supporter magazine
- You can delve into content on our website and join the conversation on our social media channels.
Join the climate pioneers. Choose a future that works better for both people and the planet with a gift to Practical Action this Giving Tuesday.
However you choose to celebrate Giving Tuesday, we’d love to hear about it. Connect with us on social and share your good news story.
An organisation you can trust
We’re committed to the highest standards in fundraising, transparency and reporting.
For every £1 we receive in donations, just 9 pence is spent on fundraising. The remaining 91% is spent on charitable activities around the world.
(2021/22 audited accounts, produced to Charity Commission norms).
We are trusted by the UK and overseas governments who fund some of our projects, along with major foundations, corporations and UN bodies.
Practical Action is registered with the Fundraising Regulator and the Fundraising Preference Service