Resilience to climate change in Bangladesh
Strengthening resilience of climate change-affected communities in south-western coastal area of Bangladesh
Duration: July 2011 – June 2013 Supported by: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Global Environment Fund (GEF) This project will improve the adaptive capacity of four villages (400 households directly) of Atulia union of Satkhira district by introducing appropriate knowledge and te...Read more
Duration: March 2011-October 2012 Supported by: Asian Development Bank, Bangladesh Resident Mission (BRM) The project aims to mainstream climate change adaptation (CCA) and disaster risk reduction (DRR) in community level planning and programming.Read more
Project location: Gaibandha District Project end: October 2007 The aim of the project was to bring together issues of poverty reduction, environmental and natural resources management, disaster risk reduction and climate change.Read more
The following projects of Reducing Vulnerability Programme of Practical Action Bangladesh also have some components to adapt to changing climate and climatic variability.
- Mainstreaming Livelihood-Centred Approaches to Disaster Management
- Disappearing Lands: Supporting Communities Affected by River Erosion
- From Vulnerability to Resilience: Household Preparedness
- Pathways from Poverty: Building Economic Empowerment & Resilience for Extreme Poor Households in Riverine Areas of Bangladesh
- Increasing Food and Nutritional Security for the Resource Poor Farmers in Jamalpur and Faridpur Districts
- Ahmed, A.U. 2008: Assessment of Vulnerability to Climate Change and Adaptation Options for the Coastal People of Bangladesh, Practical Action Bangladesh. Dhaka, Bangladesh, pp. 1-40.
- Practical Action Bangladesh. 2009: Good practices for Community Resilience, Practical Action Bangladesh, Dhaka, pp. 1-46.
- Rahman, K.M.M., J. Ensor and R. Berger. 2009: 'River erosion and flooding in northern Bangladesh', In: Understanding Climate Change Adaptation: Lessons from community-based approaches (J. Ensor and R. Berger). Practical Action Publishing, UK, pp. 39-54.
- Irfanullah, H.Md. 2013. Floating Gardening: a local lad becoming a climate celebrity? Clean Slate 88, 26−27.
- Irfanullah, H.Md. 2013. The ‘moving sown fields’: Anyone interested? SILnews 63, 22−23.