Practical Action has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Project Officer – Water Engineer in the East Africa office. The Senior Project Officer – Water Engineer is responsible for overseeing the implementation of water resources development and supply networks. The position holder will design and implement water related engineering strategies that empower local communities to effectively manage and utilize their water resources while promoting appropriate hygiene and sanitation practices.
The Senior Project Officer – Water Engineer is responsible for:
- Build team capacities in water sanitation and hygiene needs assessments, design and
construction of WASH infrastructure, WASH governance and WASH enterprises
- Undertake WASH needs assessment for people living in rural areas including ASALs, poor urban and peri-urban settlements (slums)
- Plan, design and implement appropriate low cost water supply services (pipeline
extensions, protected springs, shallow wells, solar powered bore holes, rainwater
harvesting) and sanitation (VIP, leach pits, pour flush, septic tanks, bio centres,) systems/technologies targeting the needs of rural including ASALs, poor urban and peri-urban settlement dwellers
- Prepare and cost technical designs and specifications for WASH technologies
- Draw terms of references for and supervise contractors and consultants undertaking
technical assignments for Practical Action, check contractor’s set out works, including compliance with Contract Specifications and ensure that contractors comply with their work plans to complete work with specified time frame.
- Advise the programme on appropriate water and sanitation interventions, clearly providing spatial and temporal justifications e.g. with reference to existing facilities, villages, migration patterns for ASALs etc.
An experienced professional, you will have:
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Water Engineering or related discipline. Higher National Diploma holders with relevant experience may be considered.
- Specialised training in project management and/or community development is desirable
- At least five (5) years working experience in designing and implementing water and WASH projects. Previous working experience with an international NGO will be an advantage
In return, you will get an opportunity to work for an organisation that is making a positive difference to the lives of people worldwide, a friendly and supportive culture, working with values driven and highly engaged colleagues – these are just some of the reasons we think Practical Action is a great place to work. In addition, we offer the following benefits:
- Work week of 35 hours
- 25 days’ annual leave, in addition to public holidays.
- A pension scheme that new employees join immediately on employment – employer contributes 12.5% of gross salary. Employee contribution is voluntary
- Life assurance (5x annual salary).
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Senior Project Officer – Water Engineer” so as to reach Practical Action on or before Monday 9th September 2019.
We treat all applications for employment on their merits and do not take into consideration any factors that are not relevant to the job such as disability, race, age, religion, gender, gender reassignment or sexual orientation.
Practical Action are committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks.
The successful applicant must have the pre-existing right to both live and work in Kenya.