Practical Action is a global innovator, inspiring people to discover and adopt ingenious, practical ways to free themselves from poverty and disadvantage. With over 50 years of expertise, Practical Action has a strong heritage, and track record of bringing communities and experts together to find practical, sustainable solutions to enable people to meet their needs, which work for both people and the planet.
We are committed to advancing gender equality and women’s empowerment through all our work. This includes programmes, knowledge sharing, advocacy, external communications, and our own organisational development. At a minimum, we ensure that all our work is gender sensitive, seeking gender transformative approaches as our overall ambition and in accordance with context.
About the Role
Reporting to the Country Director, the Head of Finance and Systems plays a leadership role within the Country office and is accountable for providing strategic operational management in overall organisation development and in areas of finance in the organisation.
The post holder will lead a team of finance to oversee all financial management and ensure strong controls, oversee risk management at multiple levels ensuring that data analysis informs decision making, ensure organizational and donor policies and procedures are applied appropriately, ensure functional support to project and consultancy delivery especially in budget management and compliance and work with the management team to ensure operational efficiency across all units of the organization.
The post holder will also provide leadership and management across all five core areas of the strategy: achieve change and impact, strengthen organizational profile, lead and manage people, support generation of funds and manage relationships and deliver performance.
- As an experienced Finance professional, you will have ACCA/CIMA/ACA or equivalent professional qualification.
- At least ten years relevant work experience in finance or business administration, preferably in the international development sector, with at least half of that at the senior management level.
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to support organizational change.
- Ability in budgeting, planning and control of medium or large size organisation.
- Ability to forecast financial challenges and provide strategic inputs.
- Experience in office operations.
- Organisational development, and institutional practices.
- Experience of contributing to development and designing of inclusive proposals.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in financial reporting requirements.
- Strong understanding of donor rules and requirements and ability to identify, assess, monitor, and manage risks including developing mitigation strategies.
How to Apply
A detailed Job Profile can be accessed from the download section.
If you are ready for an exciting challenge with an organisation whose mission and values are particularly relevant in these rapidly changing times, please forward your application, curriculum vitae and cover letter to: Practical Action, Kenya Office by email: [email protected] no later than 30th March, 2023 indicating ‘Practical Action: Job Title Position’ in the subject line of the email. Your cover letter should outline why you feel this is the position for you and you are the right candidate. Please include the names of 3 referees in your CV.
Practical Action is an equal opportunities employer and we encourage applications from under-represented groups. We stay committed to cultivating an inclusive and diverse working environment and believe that people from different backgrounds or cultures give us different perspectives, and the more perspectives we have, the more successful we will be. By building a culture where everyone feels heard, respected and valued we give everyone working with us the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
Practical Action is committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks.
The successful applicant must have the pre-existing right to both live and work in Kenya. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.