ASSESSMENT, DOCUMENTATION AND OPEN DEFECATION FREE CERTIFICATION OF THREE LOW INCOME SETTLEMENTS IN KISUMU CITY: CALL FOR CONSULTANT(S) THIRD PARTY CERTIFIERS.
Practical Action is a change making organization that works in unconventional ways. We bring people together in bold collaboration using knowledge and innovation to build futures free from poverty and help shape a world that works better for everyone. We have been working with residents in Nyalenda A and B and Obunga settlements for the last 5 years, mobilizing residents through CLTS processes to create demand for sanitation and behaviour change towards ODF settlements and sustained total sanitation leading to cleaner and healthier settlements. We now need the services of a seasoned public health practitioner and registered third party certifier to review our progress and among others:
Consultant’s Roles and Responsibilities
- Assess progress of CLTS processes in all the 15 administrative units in the three project locations (Nyalenda A & B and Obunga),
- Verify the extent to which the 15 administrative units in the three settlements have attained ODF statuses and/or total sanitation or otherwise, using available monitoring tools,
- Review the project’s CLTS implementation strategies and approaches vis-à-vis any other best practices and make recommendations for improvement,
- Analyze and document challenges and suggested solutions for attainment of ODF/total sanitation in low income urban settlements in Kenya,
- Document innovations and lessons learnt in the course of CLTS implementation in the urban context in Kisumu City, and;
- Make proven and evidence-based recommendations for CLTS implementation in low income urban areas to the relevant County and National Government departments and agencies.
We are looking for a hands on public health expert with demonstrated experience in CLTS implementation in urban contexts. At the minimum, the consult(s) should have the following qualifications:
- Degree/master level training in public health, environmental sanitation and hygiene, international development or any other related field,
- Demonstrated expertise in sanitation and hygiene with specific focus on CLTS approaches/methodologies adapted to urban environments,
- Third party ODF certification registration,
- Experience in conduction participatory quantitative and qualitative assessments and studies,
- Expertise and over 10 years’ experience in CLTS verification and certification processes in low income urban environments,
- In depth understanding of water sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in urban development with specific interest in Low Income Areas (LIAs)/informal settlements,
- Demonstrated technical understanding of low cost sanitation technologies, hygiene behaviour change communication (BCC), faecal sludge management and resource recovery along sanitation value chains, and;
- Knowledge of local or any of the national languages in Kenya.
For a detailed Terms of Reference of the assignment please visit: Supporting documents section
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested consultant(s) are invited to submit the applications/proposals to email@example.com with subject line “TORs for assessment, documentation and Open Defecation Free Certification of three low income settlements in Kisumu City’’ so as to reach Practical Action on or before 23rd September, 2020.
At Practical Action, we treat all applications for employment on their merits and do not take into consideration any factors that are not relevant to the job such as disability, race, age, religion, gender, gender reassignment or sexual orientation.
We are committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks.
The successful applicant must have the pre-existing right to both live and work in Kenya.