TREYL Project, through the youth mentorship framework and agri-preneurship approach to transform rural economies will require Soil Sampling, processing and Analysis service provider to carry out soil Nutrients Analyses to the identified farmers in Both Homa Bay and Kisumu counties. This will include training of farmers on soil sampling procedures, development of simple soil organic matter testing procedures to check soil organic matter accumulations and response to soil deficiency conditions revealed by soil Analyses results.
The overall objective of the consultancy is to:
- Work in collaboration with Practical Action project officers to identify farmers in their farms.
- Provide small groups training on soil sampling procedures, soil samples processing and proper labelling for further analysis
- Develop simple testing kit and demonstrate to farmers how to use it to determine soil organic matter accumulation at farm level.
- Take farmers through soil analysis, recommendations and possible Agroecology technologies to address soil nutrients deficiency conditions.
- Assess and understand dynamics and variations in soil quality (Soil fertility) and characteristics (organic matter content) in the farms of about 600 plus, farmers in both Kisumu and Homa Bay counties.
- Assess the feasibility and contribution of soils on implementing a rural economy transformation project driven by Agroecology and participatory market systems development approaches.
- Provide concrete information that influences the potential design of a project towards actualizing the suitability of the three value chains (Tomatoes, Groundnuts and Poultry) implementation and other additional appropriate Agricultural enterprises.
- Supporting farmers to understand which organic amendments are suitable to replenish soil fertility.
- Link/refer individual/groups of framers to known Agro-dealers selling organic fertility amendments and can offer suitable soil fertility extension services at local levels
- Create linkages/networks with farmers’ groups to offer advisory services beyond this consultancy.
The key deliverables and expected outputs include:
- A brief inception report detailing approach, sample selection, methodology, expected outputs and outcomes.
- A report of the findings of the soil tests and profiles as guided by the TOR including a summary PPT presentation.
- Work plan on dissemination of the findings to stakeholders and recommendation notes for improving soil fertility using Agroecology principles.
The Consultant will report to the Senior Project Officer – Agriculture.
For the purpose of this task, (soil sampling and analysis) the bidder should a reputable firm with the lead staff on this assignment having at least Master’s Degree in Soil Science, Agricultural/Agribusiness/Forestry, Agriculture & Biotechnology or related field background, and extensive experience and knowledge in Soil analysis and understands dynamics of soil variations in Kenya. Other desirable qualifications for the lead soil analyst include:
- Knowledge and understanding of Kenyan soil maps especially soil distributions in Kenya.
- Have a functional plant tissues and soil analysis laboratory with modern scientific equipment.
- Practical soil analysis experience with key emphasis on soil fertility and nutrients restoration skills.
- Strong experience in soil and crops Research in Kenya especially along Lake Victoria basin.
- A good command of the English, Swahili and Luo language.
- Demonstrated experience in Agriculture, soil fertility improvement through organic farming technologies, food security and Nutrition promotion, community empowerment, working with farmer groups.
- Strong experience in networking and collaboration work.
- Highly developed interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Creative and strong problem solving skills.
- Report writing experience.
- Experience directly working with young people in Agriculture and soil science research.
- Experience working in the lake Basin, highly recommended.
For detailed Terms of Reference about the job please visit: Supporting documents section
HOW TO APPLY:
A consulting firm that meets the above requirements and is available within the time limit indicated above should submit the following to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Consultancy to provide Soil Analysis and Agroecology Advisory Services” so as to reach Practical Action on or before 4th August 2020.
- Proposal and capability statement with clear methodological approach
- Detailed financial proposal in Kenyan Shillings
- Annexed to the proposal should be CVs of the proposed team
At Practical Action, we treat all applications for employment on their merits and do not take into consideration any factors that are not relevant to the job such as disability, race, age, religion, gender, gender reassignment or sexual orientation.
We are committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks.
The successful applicant must have the pre-existing right to both live and work in Kenya.