Practical Action is a global innovator, inspiring people to discover and adopt ingenious, practical ways to free themselves from poverty and disadvantage.
We are an international development agency with more than 50 years’ experience in the development and scaling of a range of technologies appropriate to the needs of the poor. Working throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America, Practical Action improves the lives of around one million people every year through access to energy, sustainable agriculture, water, sanitation, hygiene and waste management, and disaster risk reduction.
We are a trusted partner of many communities, governments, development agencies and the private sector. We are uniquely placed as a knowledge broker with a breadth of capacities which enable us to capture and share knowledge in relevant ways for our diverse audiences. We are influential at national level where we work, and globally and considered a “go-to” agency by those seeking to improve lives for men and women living in or vulnerable to poverty.
Consultant(s) Roles and Responsibilities
TREYL project would like to hire a business development services consultant who will provide services that improve the performance of their enterprises/businesses, access to markets and their ability to compete by supporting youth mentors to access Information, skills, networks and support on input/output, production, marketing, policy level (subsidies, import & export regulations etc.) and international market level (markets, import regulations, tariffs, competing countries etc.) and provide referrals to relevant institutions.
The consultant will act as a One-stop-shop for Business training, consultancy, linking, networking, mentoring, coaching and advisory services to small and medium sized enterprises and individual businesses within Homabay and Kisumu counties to improve their business skills.
For the purposes of this assessment, the Consultant should have at least a Bachelors Degree in Agribusiness /Agricultural economics/ Marketing/ Economics/ Commerce/Business management or related field background and extensive experience and knowledge in business mentoring and coaching in Kenya, including for youth and women initiatives. The desirable qualifications for the lead consultant include:
1. Knowledge of ILO start and improve your business (SIYB), and grow and expand your business (GEYB) and mentoring approaches.
2. Practical business knowledge with emphasis on marketing and Financial management skills.
3. Demonstrated experience in Market Research, monitoring and evaluation and product development.
4. A good command of the English, Swahili and Luo language.
5. Demonstrated experience in small business development and management (own business or by providing business development services), experience with small business financing, market analysis and market research.
6. Demonstrated experience in community economic development, community empowerment, working with community based organisations.
7. Strong experience in networking.
8. Highly developed interpersonal and oral communication skills.
9. Motivated and goal orientated.
10. Comfortable working autonomously.
11. Creative and strong problem solving skills.
12. Strategic/big picture view – goal orientated.
13. Report writing experience.
14. Experience directly working with young people in research
15. Good understanding and proven track record in safeguarding / do not harm principle.
16. Experience working in the lake Basin, highly recommended.
For a detailed Terms of Reference of the assignment please visit: Supporting documents section.
How to apply
A consultant who meets the above requirements and is available within the time limit indicated above should submit the following:
- Proposal highlighting his/her understanding of the assignment and proposed methodology
- Capability statement with 2 reports highlighting similar work in the past 5 years
- Detailed financial proposal in Kenyan Shillings for coaching 150 business enterprises
- Annexed to the proposal should be a CV of the lead consultant for the assignment
The completed bid shall be submitted through email to email@example.com with subject line “Consultancy to provide BDS Services in Kisumu and Homabay Counties’’ so as to reach Practical Action on or before 13th June, 2021.
At Practical Action, we treat all applications for employment on their merits and do not take into consideration any factors that are not relevant to the job such as disability, race, age, religion, gender, gender reassignment or sexual orientation.
We are committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks.
The successful applicant must have the pre-existing right to both live and work in Kenya.