We are looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic individual in the UK who can support the day to day sales and distribution of Practical Action Publishing’s commercial product lists as Publishing Sales & Distribution Assistant. You will be part of a small specialist publishing company, which is an integral part of the wider Practical Action organisation and will help us drive publishing impact and content delivery.
In this role you will undertake most of the day to day responsibility for sales and distribution activities; helping the publishing team to deliver that work to agreed budget, schedule and quality. You will also provide support to editorial and marketing areas of the business when required.
Tasks may include: Stock monitoring and product ordering; online sales order processing, dispatch and returns; occasional editorial support including assisting with the Print on Demand programme; occasional marketing support including market research and analytics; maintaining relationships with wholesalers, suppliers and customers; from time to time you might be required to offer logistical support for book launches and conferences.
Critical to the success of the role will be the ability to engage, communicate, and build relationships with customers, distributors and suppliers.
- You are a committed and creative individual with a ‘can do’ attitude.
- You have a solid understanding of Microsoft Office and confidence in using new software, CMS systems or apps, and you have most likely had substantial experience of working full time in sales/retail and/or an office environment.
- You are confident at building relationships and communicating with a wide range of people, whether that is in writing or verbally.
- You will be highly organised and a confident problem solver.
- Ideally you will have some experience of academic or professional publishing, which would be advantageous although not required.
This is a real opportunity to develop your expertise and profile in professional publishing in an international development arena.
Why join us?
The opportunity to work for an organisation that is making a positive difference to the lives of people worldwide, a friendly and supportive culture, working with values driven and highly engaged colleagues, work life balance and flexible working – these are just some of the reasons we think Practical Action is a great place to work.
Our brand new Publishing offices are located in the centre of Rugby and near to Rugby train station but we also offer free parking.
In addition, we offer the following benefits:
- Full time roles are contracted at 35 hours per week.
- Flexible working hours are encouraged and enabled – depending on the role, remote working is possible.
- The opportunity to work remotely (dependent on role).
- 26 days holiday rising with continuous service, in addition to public holidays.
- A pension scheme that new employees can join from day one of employment - employer contributes 10.5% of salary and the employee contributes 5%.
- Life assurance (3 x annual salary).
- Bike to Work scheme.
We are an independent publishing company and an integral part of an international development organisation, Practical Action, putting ingenious ideas to work so people in poverty can change their world. We share what works with others, so answers that start small can grow big.
Practical Action is a global change-making group. The group consists of a UK registered charity with community projects in Africa, Asia and Latin America, an independent development publishing company and a technical consulting service. We combine these specialisms to multiply our impact and help shape a world that works better for everyone.
We treat all applications for employment on their merits and do not take into consideration any factors that are not relevant to the job such as disability, race, age, religion, gender, gender reassignment or sexual orientation.
Practical Action are committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks.
Please note that should we recruit a suitable candidate before the closing date, we will close applications earlier than the specified date.
The successful applicant must have the pre-existing right to both live and work in the UK.
Closing date for applications: 22nd November 2019
Interview dates: 2nd and 4th December 2019