PAC is ambitious to foster growing energy access provision; and to influence energy access planning and policy development for the benefit of poor, vulnerable and marginalised populations. Our work on access to energy in humanitarian contexts is growing in footprint and profile, and in order to grow and deliver this work we need consultants/experts who are experienced and passionate about working in this area.
We are looking for an experienced consultant/technical specialist to be a central member of our PAC (Practical Action Consulting) International Humanitarian Energy Consulting Team. You will work closely with the PAC International Energy Team Lead to provide leadership for two of our foremost Humanitarian Energy projects: Renewable Energy for Refugees (RE4R) and HEED (Humanitarian Engineering and Energy for Displacement):
- Providing, co-ordinating and quality assuring the technical project components (and related deliverables) of the two projects (covering issues such as energy markets, mini-grid design and implementation, clean cooking)
- Integrating best practices from the sector and integrating with wider Practical Action approaches and principles of our energy access work.
- Supporting the capture, use and sharing of learning from these two humanitarian energy projects and our wider energy portfolio to create greater synergies and a useable body of knowledge.
- Supporting colleagues in our Influence and Impact team and the Energy Change Hub (internal group for sharing learning, knowledge, progress and strategic/business planning for our organisational energy aims) to integrate learning and results from these two key projects into our overall measurement of energy impact.
- Providing strategic inputs into advocacy and learning activities and initiatives, particularly where this relates the two key projects above.
- Supporting the Project Managers for both projects above in project delivery (including budget issues, people management and other project management tasks where required), to ensure timely, quality delivery within budget.
- Working closely with Regional Country Office teams to support delivery, build capacity and ensure quality of our implementation on the ground.
- Supporting the PAC International Energy lead and other PAC colleagues in some new business development to grow our humanitarian energy portfolio, and particularly in helping to shape our technical approach.
You are an experienced Humanitarian Energy/Energy Access and Development Consultant and/or Expert who is consistently able to win and deliver high quality and high impact projects in collaboration with others. You have experience of working with refugee and host communities, and an understanding of camps and Internally Displaced People environments. You are able to support others to develop skills and acquire experience in a team situation. You are able to co-ordinate and support others to achieve joint outcomes and desired quality standards. You have some experience of team, project and financial management. You have some experience of business development or fundraising.
Why join us?
The opportunity to work for an organisation that is making a positive difference to the lives of people worldwide, a friendly and supportive culture, working with values driven and highly engaged colleagues, work life balance and flexible working – these are just some of the reasons we think Practical Action is a great place to work.
Our brand new open plan offices are located in the centre of Rugby and near to Rugby train station but we also offer free parking.
In addition, we offer the following benefits:
- Flexible working/hours – full time roles are contracted at 35 hours per week.
- The opportunity to work remotely (dependent on role).
- 25 days holiday and Christmas Eve, in addition to public holidays.
- A pension scheme that new employees can join from day one of employment - employer contributes 10% of salary and the employee contributes 5%.
- Life assurance (3 x annual salary).
- Bike to Work scheme.
Practical Action is a change making organisation that works in unconventional ways. We put ingenious ideas to work so people in poverty can change their world.
We do things differently, so answers that start small can grow big - bringing people together in bold collaborations, using innovation and knowledge to build futures free from poverty and help shape a world that works better for everyone.
We treat all applications for employment on their merits and do not take into consideration any factors that are not relevant to the job such as disability, race, age, religion, gender, gender reassignment or sexual orientation.
Practical Action are committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks.
Please note that should we recruit a suitable candidate before the closing date, we will close applications earlier than the specified date.
The successful applicant must have the pre-existing right to both live and work in the UK.
Provisional Interview dates: Thursday 14th November/Friday 15th November