You can help communities protect themselves
With your support, vulnerable communities can thrive, despite the changing climate.
Karuna in Nepal (first image) saw homes and livelihoods in her community destroyed by devastating floods. Committed to ensuring this never happened again, she joined a community disaster management committee (third image) organised by Practical Action.
The group monitors water levels further up the river (fourth image) and rainfall. If these reach levels likely to cause flooding, the alarm is raised. The community volunteers rush to visit vulnerable people and help get them to evacuation shelters (fifth and sixth images). Weather information boards, flood maps and regular evacuation drills, increase peoples’ knowledge of how to prepare for floods, and what to do when they happen.
All this preparation has proven its worth many times in recent years. Disasters were avoided and life could quickly return to normal.
Disasters caused by extreme weather are not normal. Together, we can help people become more resilient and thrive, despite the impact of climate change. You can find out more or contribute to our work to help people protect themselves.
“Working with Practical Action has given me the opportunity to help protect my community from disaster and reduce the impact of floods.”
We believe in possible
We know that ingenuity can tackle the world’s toughest problems. We’ve worked with communities to prove it’s possible to:
- Turn desert into lush fields in Sudan, so farmers can thrive despite climate change
- Replant areas of rainforest in Peru, so coffee growers can succeed sustainably
- Turn plastic waste into fuel in Bangladesh, cleaning up slums and rivers and creating jobs
It’s what we’ve been doing for over 50 years.
But we need to do more
People living in poor communities have never faced such a tough reality.
- Climate change has caused an increase in devastating floods, storms and landslides. We can help communities avoid disaster.
- Permanent changes to temperature and rainfall are making farming almost impossible. We can help farmers adapt and thrive.
- The long term impact of coronavirus is pushing millions deeper into poverty. We can help create jobs, improve incomes and boost businesses.
You support will help make this possible.
Your gift will go further than you imagine
Regular support through monthly giving will:
- Provide us with the predictable income we need to embark on ambitious long-term projects with communities around the world.
- Allow us to pioneer innovative approaches that can be replicated elsewhere, by other development groups and governments.
- Enable us to unlock grants from large donors, such as the UK Government and UN bodies.
Feel part of the change
You’ll feel involved and inspired by the work your support is making possible.
- We’ll bring you uplifting updates from the communities we work with, our teams who work alongside them and our technical experts.
- We’ll keep you up to date with the progress and some of the big global issues through email updates and our supporter magazine
- You can delve into content on our website and join the conversation on our social media channels.
For every £1 we receive in donations, just 9 pence is spent on fundraising. The remaining 91% is spent on charitable activities, including 1% on essential governance.
(2018/19 audited accounts, produced to Charity Commission norms).
We are trusted by the UK and overseas governments who fund some of our projects, along with major foundations, corporations and UN bodies.