Support Practical Action’s efforts to provide information to as many people as possible by partnering with us in our translation programme.
Practical Action wants to develop technical information in a wide range of languages, and we are especially interested in those languages in which Practical Action works. Currently the majority of material has been produced in English and Spanish; we have documents in French, Arabic, Bengali, Nepali, Sinhala, Sinhala, Tamil, Kiswahili, Shona, Ndebele, Portuguese, and Quechua. However, there is need of appropriate information in many other languages being used across Africa, Asia and other regions so all translations are very welcome.
This is where your skills can be put into practice. If you have language skills and have the time to translate a document or even a part of a document, you can help.
If you would like to translate any of the material on Practical Action’s website then please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are constantly looking for people with any of the above languages.
The work of translating Practical Action’s technical information has been undertaken by people on a voluntary basis either to boost the information resources available through Practical Action or as part of their own project work that can then be used by others.
We would especially like to thank the work of Engineers Without Borders UK whose members have volunteered to translate many documents and the input of Tekniker who have worked on translating documents into Spanish.
The following list highlights a few examples of this work:
- Energía del Viento was translated from the technical brief Energy from the Wind by César Hernández-Chávez
- Energia Solar Termal was translated from the English technical brief Solar Thermal Energy by Rocio Rodriguez Aguilera
- Solar translated from the technical brief Solar PV waterpumping by Rocio Rodriguez Aguilera.
- What is Biodiesel? has been translated from the technical brief ¿Que es el biodiesel? by various people via Do Some Good.
Practical Action is now looking for people to translate more of our technical briefs into Portuguese. If you are interested in contributing please contact us.
A few examples of recent work include:
- Fireless Cookers - Abafador para Cozinhar
- Artificial Reefs - Recifes Artificiais E A Sua Instalação
- The A Frame - A Moldura A
- A Simple Retort - Uma Retorta Simples
- Infiltration Pits - Fossas De Infiltrção Para Captação De Água Das Chuvas
We would also like to mention Switch on - Onergy who are about to embark on translating some of the technical briefs on energy into Hindi, Bengali and Oriya.