Senior Energy Consultant
Do you want to light up the world?!
At Practical Action Consulting (PAC) we have an exciting opportunity for someone who shares our vision of Technology Justice and interest in enabling poor people in developing countries to gain access to energy.
Globally, energy poverty is recognised as a key barrier to countries and individuals leading fulfilling, healthy and productive lives. For over 40 years, Practical Action has worked through its offices in Africa, Asia and Latin America to help poor people gain access to modern energy services, and has built a reputation as a leading proponent of Total Energy Access.
As Practical Action’s consulting arm, PAC provides advice on energy access to governments, international agencies, NGOs and the private sector. We work with clients and partners across the range of energy technologies to build evidence, establish supportive policy environments, develop markets and innovative business models, build local capacity and deliver programs with a real impact on people’s lives. On the global stage, PAC contributes a local understanding of energy issues to debates on policy, capacity and financing as part of our efforts to increase energy access to the rural and urban poor at scale.
In this role you will use your knowledge of energy access and energy technologies to lead PAC’s UK energy team in developing project proposals, managing projects and delivering high quality consultancy. You will build relationships with clients, partners and associates and support the Principal Consultant in developing PAC’s energy strategy and collaborative working, innovation and capacity across our energy teams internationally.
We are looking for an energetic and committed individual, with experience of energy access in the context of international development and a track-record of winning and delivering consultancy work. You will be joining a growing team, with a strong project portfolio, in an organisation with a positive and engaging culture, a lively social scene and flexible working arrangements, where there is a real focus on training and career development.
Please note applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK
|Date of expiry||16th Dec|
|Salary||£41-£48k per annum (depending on experience)|
|Location||Nr. Rugby, Warwickshire. United Kingdom|
|Full/Part time||Full Time|
SCOPE AND PURPOSE OF ROLE
PAC is ambitious to foster growing provision of energy access to poor people and influence planning and policy development for energy access to benefit poor people. To deliver this we need strong leadership and consultants who are passionate about winning, managing and undertaking work in the energy and development sectors.
Your role will be to support the Principal Consultant in delivering strategic direction, operational plans and the effective management of PAC’s energy activities.
The role will involve developing a strategy for PAC UK’s energy practice, winning and managing energy work, co-ordinating PAC UK’s energy activities, managing members of the team and building a network of associate consultants and other partner organisations to support the delivery and expansion of PAC UK’s energy portfolio.
You will have opportunities to represent PAC and Practical Action at international meetings and events and author and commission articles and papers for publication in support of Practical Action’s influencing strategy and raise PAC’s profile.
This is a broad remit that requires someone with at least five to ten years of relevant experience, knowledge of off-grid energy access technologies, understanding of energy access issues, excellent communication, networking and influencing skills and strong analytical and organisational project management capabilities.
- To bring innovation and energy in working with the Principal Consultant to develop a winning strategy for PAC UK’s energy practice and contribute to achievement of this strategy by guiding others and her/himself winning, managing and undertaking work in the energy and development sectors which contributes to Practical Action’s objectives.
- To develop, motivate and lead a high performing PAC UK energy team, prioritise and assign responsibility for business development projects and monitor project delivery.
- To manage the PAC UK energy team and build a strong network of associate consultants and partner organisations to support delivery and expansion of PAC’s energy portfolio.
- To ensure the quality of PAC UK business development and project implementation and assist members of the team to build their capabilities to improve the quality of the team’s deliverables.
- To manage and provide senior-level expert inputs to international projects. This will include taking project management responsibility for consultancy projects (with value up to £2m) and managing a portfolio of projects of >£250,000/year. As project manager, to be responsible for all aspects of project delivery including technical content, budget and contract management, client relationships, partner co-ordination, production of reports and knowledge products and team management (with responsibility for timeliness and quality of delivery from other Practical Action and PAC staff and subcontractors).
- To win new work from international donors and commercial organisations and lead and guide others in the development of proposals (with value up to £2m).
- To develop and maintain networks in the donor, international agency, NGO, consulting, private sector, academic and engineering sectors.
- To work with the Principal Consultant to support PAC overseas teams to win and deliver quality energy work and in collaborative working, innovation and capacity development across the PAC and Practical Action energy teams internationally.
- To ensure that PAC UK’s energy work contributes effectively to Practical Action’s overall mission and to support knowledge capture and dissemination from project work across the organisation.
- To represent PAC and Practical Action at international meetings and events and to author and commission articles and papers for publication in support of Practical Actions’ influencing strategy and to raise PAC’s profile and generate networks and contacts in the energy and development sector.
This post holder may be required to work unsocial hours, away from the office, or overnight when necessary. The post will also require some international travel (estimated 6 weeks per year).
Regular 1/1s and appraisals will take place and each employee’s individual input into their role’s development is always welcomed and encouraged.
All Practical Action staff work towards demonstrating excellence and with our core behavioural values. We seek to:
• Be inspired and inspiring about our work.
• Demonstrate dynamism in what we do.
• Be good at connecting and collaborating.
• Learn and share knowledge.
• Demonstrate creativity in doing their job.
• Be focused on getting the job done.
Candidates should write via email, in strict confidence, attaching their CV and a supporting statement stating how they meet the above requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on Wednesday 16th December 2015.
Click on Download Tab for Recruitment Pack and Equal Opportunities Form which must be completed and returned with your application.