- Responding to new technologies We help poor people to assess and respond to the challenges of new technologies, and to develop, ...
- Sustainable Agriculture We work with resource poor smallholder crop and livestock farmers especially in arid and semi ari...
- Universal Access to Energy We work with rural communities to increase access to modern energy services for cooking, lighting...
- Urban Water, Sanitation and Waste Management We aim to achieve a clean and healthy environment for all urban and peri-urban residents
Practical Action Southern Africa is the regional office of the Group with active projects in Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
We work in partnership with communities and other development institutions in all our work, we respect diversity and show great concern for future generations. Specifically, we work with communities helping them choose and use appropriate technologies to improve their lives for today and generations to come.
Our vision is that of a world free of poverty and injustice in which technology is used to the benefit of all. We hope to achieve that by helping to eradicate poverty in developing countries through the development and use of technology and by demonstrating results, sharing knowledge and influencing others.
Since 1989, our work in the region and particularly in Zimbabwe has allowed us to build an understanding of the development approaches that work best in the region and this has seen us supporting small producers in a wide range of technologies ranging from food production to manufacturing.
If you would like to support our work, in Southern Africa and around the world, you can donate online.
Practical Action Southern Africa is managed by an Acting Regional Director, Kudzai Marovanidze, and supported by three main thematic areas —Sustainable Agriculture and Livellihoods, Universal Access to Energy,Urban Water,sanitation and Waste Management — plus Practical Action Consulting (PAC).
Cross Cutting Themes
- Gender,Climate Change and markets
Also information resources suitable for Southern Africa are available through Practical Answers Southern Africa.
Please address enquiries to the Regional Director, the Manager of the respective program or Practical Answers Southern Africa to the following address.
Practical Action Southern Africa
Number 4 Ludlow Road (off Enterprise Road)
T +263 (4) 776631-3 , 776107, 2936857-60
F +263 (4) 788157
Southern Africa annual report 2012-13
Practical Action's annual report for the Southern Africa region, including Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique.