Following crises such as disasters and conflicts, rebuilding work should adopt practices that:
- Promote a hands on approach to reconstruction;
- Make best use of local skills, institutions and resources in order to build back better;
- Include disaster risk assessments and decentralised disaster risk reduction into reconstruction processes to lessen vulnerability to future risks;
- Promote the recovery of market systems that will build back local livelihoods;
- Enable a more cost-effective and sustainable recovery.
Examples of our approach
On 15th August 2007, an earthquake measuring 7.9 on the Richter scale struck the central coast of Peru, with its epicentre in the Ica region of Peru. This region borders the Pacific ocean, to the south of Lima. The epicentre was close (60km to the northwest) to the city of Pisco. The quake aff...Read more