Gift Aid

Make your donation go further

Through the Gift Aid Scheme we can make all your gifts worth 25% more, at no extra cost to you. Check the boxes on your donation forms.

gift aid form 2014

What is Gift Aid?
Gift Aid is a simple way to increase the value of your gift to Practical Action - at no extra cost to you. If you pay tax in the UK, Practical Action can reclaim the basic rate tax (25%) on your gift. So, if you donate £10.00, it is worth £12.50.  A Gift Aid declaration is a statement by an individual taxpayer that they want a charity to receive the tax paid on their donation back from the government.

Do I qualify for Gift Aid?
In order for Practical Action to reclaim the tax you have paid on your donations, you must have paid income or capital gains tax (in the UK) for each tax year (6 April to 5 April) at least equal to the tax that all the charities or Community Amateur Sports Clubs that you donate to will reclaim on your gifts for that tax year. Other taxes such as VAT and Council Tax do not qualify.

Which of my donations are valid?
Any donation except CAF or Give as you Earn, made to Practical Action (including those made via Standing Order and Direct Debit) are eligible under the Gift Aid scheme, if you are a UK tax payer. Donations made through CAF and payroll giving are exempt and are not eligible under the Gift Aid scheme as the tax has already been reclaimed.

What is the minimum value of a Gift Aid donation?
There is no longer a minimum value. Provided you have paid the necessary Income and/or Capital Gains Tax, all gifts of all sizes are eligible.

What happens if I stop paying tax?
Just let us know the date and we will take care of the rest.

What happens if I move or change my name?
Please advise us as soon as possible, so that we can amend your record.

Can I make a joint declaration with my partner?
Yes, just include the full names. Addresses and signatures of both partners on the declaration form. However, you will have to make it clear from whom each eligible donation originates.

What if I am a higher rate tax payer?
If you pay tax at the higher rate, we can claim the basic rate of tax and you can claim the additional tax relief through your self assessment tax return.

For further information about Gift Aid or transitional relief please contact Practical Action on 01926 634531 or visit the HMRC website.

no comments