Consultancy Manager - Practical Action Consulting, Eastern Africa
Practical Action is an international development agency working with poor communities to help them choose and use technology to improve their lives today and in generations to come.
We are seeking a results-oriented and proactive team player to fill this senior management position based in Nairobi with occasional travel throughout Eastern Africa.
Reporting to the Regional Director and the UK-based Managing Director of Practical Action Consulting (PAC), the successful candidate will take the lead in developing and implementing strategies, through the delivery of consultancy work, that enable Practical Action to expand its outreach and influence across the Eastern Africa region.
- To develop and manage a successful consultancy unit in the Eastern Africa Regional Office, success being measured through the achievement of strategic and financial targets.
- Take overall responsibility for business development, research, marketing, networking and contract management for PAC.
- Develop presence and raise the profile of PAC with donors, governments, NGOs and the private sector in the Eastern Africa region.
- Develop high quality Expressions of Interest (EOIs) and proposals; negotiate and deliver contracts effectively and on a timely basis.
- Provide effective leadership to PAC staff and associate consultants and create an enabling environment for optimum utilization of resources and staff capacities.
Qualifications and skills
- Education: at least a Masters degree in Development Studies, Business Administration, Economics or any other relevant field.
- Technical specialization relevant to PAC's work (e.g. energy, enterprise development, climate change, etc.)
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in development work and/or consulting services in the Eastern Africa region, of which at least 3 years at managerial level.
- Proven track record of marketing and delivery of successful consulting services.
- Proven experience in managing staff and budgets.
- Excellent writing skills and computer competencies.
Application together with a CV and names of three professional referees should be submitted to Practical Action by email to: email@example.com, to be received no later than 18th February 2010. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.