SmallTalk monthly from Practical Action
Our monthly e-newsletter, SmallTalk, is an easy way to stay in touch with Practical Action, featuring news from our projects around the world. Browse through our back issues here, and sign-up to receive regular updates.
Explore our archive of SmallTalk back issues
- August 2016 - Bangladesh farmers help victims of flooding | Solar power: changing lives in Zimbabwe | Brand new range of Practical Presents
- July 2016 - George McRobie | Water and Toilets for Nakuru school | Rethink, Retool, Reboot, Technology as if people and planet mattered
- June 2016 - Radio show helps girls in India | New Nepal project | Toilets for Kenya
- May 2016 - Fertile land for farmers | Technology as if people mattered | Eva's inspirational work in Kitale
- April 2016 - My trip to Nepal | Help Nepal Build Back Better
- February 2016 - Pumpkins Against Poverty appeal reaches its £1 million target | Triodos bank partnership | Floating gardens video
- January 2016 - Technology Justice call to action | 50th anniversary quilt | Clean toilets in Zimbabwe
- December 2015 - Pumpkins Against Poverty in Bangladesh | Reaching 1.2 million people in 2015
- November 2015 - Access to energy for refugees | World Toilet Day
- October 2015 - Pumpkin power | Pumpkin soup recipe
- September 2015 - Posts for peace in Sudan | Resilience to flooding with Zurich | Our fundraising commitment
- August 2015 - Clean water after the floods in Bangladesh | New CEO
- July 2015 - Turning human waste into energy in Bangladesh | Boreholes in Zimbabwe | 50th anniversary of Practical Action | What is Technology Justice?
- June 2015 - 50 years of working with DfID | Moving beyond the relief phase in Nepal | Thank you to our Nightrider team
- May 2015 - Massive earthquake in Nepal | Blogs | Video | How you can help
- April 2015 - Landslides in Peru | Communities are declared 'Open Defecation Free' in Nepal | Practical Action is 50 | Our new website | Technology justice videos
- March 2015 - Practical Answers technical information service | International Women's Day | Practical Action Man in the London Marathon | Schumacher College Courses | Hayley's story from Nepal | Krishi Call Centre
- February 2015 - Selling snacks in Bangladesh | Farming ducks on rice paddies in Nepal | Earning an income with quinoa in Bolivia | Tackling energy poverty in Zimbabwe
- January 2015 - Safe and permanent homes in Bangladesh | TV advert on indoor air pollution | Nightrider | Climate change award for our flood resilience programme | Snapshots of life in Sudan
- December 2014 - Double your gift | A future for Firali and her family | Thank you from Bangladesh | Smoke hoods in Nepal | You've helped 1.1 million people in 2014
- November 2014 - Floods in Bangladesh | Technical information service's new website | Bringing hope to farmers in Malawi | Waste-picking in Nepal | Most innovative fundraiser | Change a life this Christmas
- October 2014 - Community forests in Sudan | Bringing electricity to a community in the Bolivian Mountains for the very first time | Thank you from Nepal - Happy! | Blog Action Day - inequality | Be a school partner
- September 2014 - Hygiene education in Bangladesh | The link between poverty and climate change | Energy in rural Malawi | Floods in Bangladesh | Image gallery | Engineer focus group
- August 2014 - Pathways from Poverty in Bangladesh | Early warning systems in Nepal | Practical Action Publishing turns 40 | Mo Khatri climbs Mount Kilimanjaro | Solar-powered irrigation in Zimbabwe | Small Is Festival
- July 2014 - Early warning of monsoon floods in Nepal | Safer cities and technology justice | Micro-hydro in Bolivia | Ask Practical Action | Poor People's Energy Outlook 2014
- May 2014 - Cooking with LPG in Sudan | Electricity from micro-hydro power in Zimbabwe | SWASHTHA building healthy communities in Nepal
- February 2014 - New Practical Action office in West Africa | Safer Cities campaign success | UK development minister thanks Practical Action | Take the Live Below the Line challenge | Supporting the victims of floods | Connecting rural communities in Malawi
January 2014 - No alpacas were harmed in the making of this film ...
New video takes a lighthearted look at our work in Peru | Transforming lives in the Andes | OrangeAid | Safer Cities photo campaign
December 2013 - Merry Christmas from Practical Action
Video Christmas e-card
November 2013 - Six short videos to make you think ...
Six videos: simple technologies make a difference | Guardian Christmas appeal | Double your donation | Safer Cities
September 2013 - Snow storms hit alpaca farmers in Peru
Big freeze in the Andes | Kenya: our work goes on | UK Prime Minister commits on energy | Water use in UK and Kenya | Beat the Flood schools resource | Solid waste management in Bangladesh
August 2013 - Beating the floods: when no news is good news
Early warning systems in Nepal | Smoke-free cooking with the Gurkhas | Radio 4 appeal: waste-pickers in Kathmandu | Low-smoke stoves in Sudan | Total sanitation in Kenya
June 2013 - What does technology justice look like?
Technology justice photos | Forgotten victims of drought infographic | Access to energy EU event | Mega Malawi project | Ask Practical Action | Award for compost pits
May 2013 - Building livelihoods in Bangladesh
Fish cages in Bangladesh | Knowledge bazaars | Dying for a drink - TV campaign | Last chance for Nightrider
March 2013 - Zoom in ... to see how energy changes lives
Energy enables photo mosaic | Installing a solar water pump | Live below the line for Lent | Local action for global impact | Video: Gisele Bundchen on smoke | Beatrice and the flying toilets
February 2013 - News from Practical Action
Camel milk in Kenya | Living on £1 a day | Smoke-free in Nepal | Energy enables videos | Who is that orange lady?
January 2013 - Quick catch-up
Climate change work in pictures | Smoke deaths in Africa | Nightrider | Solar water pumps | Premier Radio | Tandem Turners
December 2012 - Merry Christmas from Practical Action!
Twelve days of Christmas video
November 2012 - Concrete plans for peace
Avoiding conflicts in Sudan | Practical Presents | Nightrider | Video: Bangladesh | Making gifts with technical briefs
October 2012 - Watch Hosne Ara's story
Beating the floods in Bangladesh | Electricity in Zimbabwe | A day in the life of Yassir Abdelmutualab, Sudan | Interview with Duncan Green | My experience as a Practical Action supporter
September 2012 - A groundbreaking electricity-generating stove!
SCORE stove | Preparing for floods in Nepal | Give as you shop | A day in the life of Abdul Haro | Video: why I support Practical Action | Blog from Kenya | Video: sustainable energy
August 2012 - Top 10 technologies in pictures
Top 10 technologies slideshow | Ken Banks interview - mobile tech | Growing tomatoes | Podcasting in Zimbabwe | Video: flooding in Bangladesh | Drought in Africa one year on
July 2012 - Could you go without energy for a week?
Video: smokehoods saving lives in Nepal | Floods in Bangladesh | Would you miss energy? | Blog from Sudan
May 2012 - Our work in pictures
Energy photos | Small Is Festival | Resilient farmers in Peru | Nepal treadle pump video | Sudan unrest
March 2012 - Would you drink this?
Clean water | Jon Snow says enter Nightrider | Bringing sanitation to the slums | Beating the hospipe ban | Practical Action's first worldwide webinar!
February 2012 - We need loud people
Talking about Practical Action | Cool zeer pots | Rural electricity in Kenya | CEO report from Nepal | Fighting climate change in Bolivia
January 2012 - I'm scared of cows. Are you?
Cow lollipops | Video: smoke and improved stoves | Supermodel Gisele Bündchen visits projects in Kenya | Technology justice | Nightrider
- November 2011 - Access to energy | MEPs project visit to Kenya | Energy technologies in action | Award-winning video
- October 2011 - Fighting technology injustice | Project news from Bangladesh | Small engineers, big future | Power can challenge poverty | Blog for World Food Day
- September 2011 - Helping the vulnerable cope with disasters | Nepal earthquake | Project news from Peru | EF Schumacher centenary celebrations | Technology justice
- August 2011 - Video: make the call, energy for all | Project news from Kenya | Small Is ... festival | Phones transforming lives in Nepal
- July 2011 - EF Schumacher centenary | Tour de France challenge | Energy poverty in Zimbabwe | Improving health in Nepal | Kenya drought update
- June 2011 - Drought in northern Kenya | New East Africa director | European emissions targets | Video: sandbar cropping in Bangladesh | Photos from Peru and Kenya
- March 2011 - Pioneering phone app launch | Project news from Zimbabwe | Climate week | Solar-powered water pumps | Gadget Show Live
- February 2011 - Smoke hoods | Climate change campaigning | Nepal photo-exhibition | Chat to our CEO | Flying toilets | Squashed tomato challenge
- November 2010 - Poor People's Energy Outlook 2010 | Lighting up lives in Africa | Disaster preparation in Peru | World Toilet Day
- October 2010 - Gunpowder, treason and ... smoke? | Climate change adaptation photo-exhibition | Desperate housewives in Sudan | A good year for Nepal
- September 2010 - Energy and the Millennium Development Goals | Two-wheeled energy | Food security | Small Is .. festival
- August 2010 - Killer freeze in Peru | 99 miles to mark 99 years | Small Is ... festival | A garden party with the Prince
- July 2010 - Turning the desert green in Darfur | Practical Answers | Life at Practical Action | Summer festivals
- June 2010 - Wind-powered football | Sustainable energy video | Bees stop landslides in Nepal | Helping teachers teach sustainability
- May 2010 - Improved clay stove installed in...New York! | Video: Carving a livelihood with pumpkins | Solar water distillation in Sri Lanka | Micro-hydro in southern Africa
- April 2010 - Children pioneer flood defences in Nepal | New eco toilets in Peru | Bringing life back to Darfur | Saving lives and forests in Madagascar
- March 2010 - No Tech Day | Podcasting in Zimbabwe | Biogas in Sri Lanka | Hydro electricity in Peru | Energy-saving stoves in Kenya
- February 2010 - Solar lighting in Nepal | Fair trade = better world | Unable to feed her children | Climate change adaptation
- January 2010 - A Nepalese love story | Breeding happiness | Farming in harmony | Hearty cooking
- December 2009 - Building back better after the tsunami | Reslient rice in Sri Lanka | Repairing livelihoods | Crafting a future | Copenhagen blog
- November 2009 - Copenhagen is coming: join the Wave | Tara's floating garden: a small victory against climate change | Tougher than any Bush Tucker Trial | A decade of Practical Action in Bolivia
- October 2009 - Light for Mrs Laura | Water powered computers | Gift of a Zeer Pot
- September 2009 - Drought in Kenya | Come dine with us | Inspiring Festival | Snakes ... and toilets
- August 2009 - Reasons to smile in Sudan | Video: Children face river challenge | No more fear for Nirmala | Don't forget to tie the Knot!
- July 2009 - Amazing award-winning work in Bangladesh | Invite a speaker | Video: Ecosan toilets saving lives in Zimbabwe
- June 2009 - Happy Anniversary? | 4,000 hours to save the earth | Video: protecting the lungs of the planet
- May 2009 - Dangers of Darfur - a compelling report from our project manager | Video - treadle pumps changing lives in Nepal | Practical answers to climate injustice