Solar Cooking and Health

Ideas on what solar cooking is about, its capabilities, health issues as well as its limitations.

Read more...

Comments

bedarul islam said:

said:
    i am interested to know about solar cooking please give us total idea on how you built or install a solar cooker in a home do you use any solar panels thanks sincerely yours bedarul
    on 5/11/12
  • Reply said:
    we want to know the problems..
    on 27/2/14

David Nicholls said:

said:
    not sure if this is an appropriate place to ask this but.... I've been trying to think of ways of bringing solar cooking inside, since cooking outside is often a big drawback. Could the heat from sunlight concentrated with reflectors to a very hot point then be brought inside via something that conducts heat well like insulated copper cable or some kind of liquid or gas? Also I had the idea of light concentrated with reflectors to a point being reflected again with a mirror down a shaft (from a (perhaps quite large) permanent mirror array on the roof) to the oven to heat it up, or perhaps a lens could do this. Seems like the mirror array on the roof could be operated manually with pullies & a periscope of some sort, or with solar electric tracking). the more I've thought about this the more it seems impossible or too complicated to my amateur mind & instead conducting the heat seemed the only hope. Just thought I'd share that thought, I don't usually attempt to come up with alternative technology, having no technical expertise, was just thinking about what I'd like to do with my own house. Cheers
    on 27/7/14

David Nicholls said:

said:
    I think I might have a design for a built-in Solar Cooker, basically the oven extends all the way to the ceiling where it is heated by a reflector array on the roof much larger than those found on portable solar ovens, perhaps easiest to view the diagram: http://davolls.blogspot.co.nz/ maybe if any technician or scientist out there see this they can tell me if it would work. I was thinking of this more as something acceptable to "affluent" people but perhaps would suit some "poor" kitchens
    on 31/7/14

tunde said:

said:
      I believe it will work provided; 1. The reflector at the roof is replaced with a concentrator 2. There are other reflectors arranged properly and serially to reflect the rays from the concentrator down to the base of the cooking pot. 3. The tunnel is well lagged with non combustible materials so as not to burn down the building. Other technical details like material choice, reflector angle, amount of heat to be generated, etc. are important.
      2 weeks, 6 days ago

tunde said:

said:
    I found another factsheet on solar cooking. Please I need the name of the author and year of publication...for citation
    2 weeks, 6 days ago

Binaya Parajuli for Practical Action said:

said:
      Please let us know which fact sheet on Solar Cooking do you mean by 'another'?
      1 week, 4 days ago

tunde said:

said:
        You will find it in the link below; http://practicalaction.org/docs/practical_answers/Energy/solar_cooking.pdf
        1 week, 3 days ago

Binaya Parajuli for Practical Action said:

said:
          The Author is Darwin Curtis and this document was originally published in Boiling Point No 52, 2006.
          1 week, 1 day ago

tunde said:

said:
            Thanks a lot, I deeply appreciate your help.
            6 days, 15 hours ago

Post a Comment