- The impact of drought Long periods without rainfall can devastate families who are dependent on agriculture for their f...
- Surviving freak freezes The "Friaje" of recent winters - a phenomenon of intense cold never experienced so extremely befo...
- Climate change and poverty The Millennium Development Goals will be an unachievable aspiration if climate change is not tack...
It is the world’s poorest people who are hardest hit by devastating droughts, floods and other extreme weather events. This is a massive injustice – climate change is caused by the world’s richest countries.
Around the world, Practical Action is working in different ways to tackle both the causes and effects of climate change, including
- Working with communities to reduce their vulnerability to the disasters made worse and more numerous by climate change, and to help them adapt to the longer term challenges which a changing climate pose.
- Working with other organisations to share our learning of what works well and what can be done to make programmes of work with poor communities even more effective.
- Working with national and international bodies around the world to create and strengthen policies which reduce emissions and encourage funding and focus on adaptation to climate change.
- Working with schools and teachers to encourage the delivery of effective, exciting climate change lessons which engage today's young people in the issues of climate change, creating a generation of global citizens who understand the impact of their actions on the environment and people around the world.
- Launching and supporting campaigns designed to raise awareness of the impacts of climate change on vulnerable communities, and enabling them to take tangible action to support strong and urgent change at the local, national and international level.
News via Twitter
Climate change solutions
Climate change isn't just about recognising the problem. For Practical Action it’s also about supporting the solutions. Solutions that already exist.
Simple, practical actions can help people to minimise the ways in which floods, droughts and extreme weather affect their lives. At Practical Action, we know that small-scale technologies can make a difference.
Select a solution
Join us on 6 April 2013 at St Paul's Community Centre, Wimbledon for free practical training on effective local campaigningFind out more
COP18 climate change talks in Doha
Climate change blog
We all know the story of how Cinderella’s fairy godmother changed a pumpkin into a golden carriag...
On a recent trip to Nepal I was introduced to Practical Action’s work on flood preparedness and i...