Practical Action has achieved a major breakthrough in the block-making industry in Eastern Sudan through development of intermediate technology in a rural context and active local participation.
In in collaboration with a local manufacturer, we have been able to carve a niche by transforming the old conventional version of the block-making machine into a revolutionary pre-cast block-making machine to match the development and sustainability needs of the Aqua 4 East project.
The machine was developed with a moderate productive capacity in compliance with the requirements of the WASH sector and to address guidelines of the project.
The hand-operated machine has been transformed primarily to be used for latrine construction. However, the machine can also be used for building high density blocks and bricks for other construction purposes.
Its unique features are based on the following characteristics:
- No vibration – instead high pressure is compensated to replace vibration.
- Durability and corrosion resistance.
- Soil stabilized bricks
- Adjustable prefab different sized moulds which saves material (cement)
- The hollow centre of the block narrows the wall thickness without compromising on wall stiffness
- Environmentally friendly
- Zero waste hence cost effective
- Compact and lighter weight compared to previous versions
- High safety
- No need for electric power
- Low maintenance
- Block manufacturing can be turned into a profitable business for many people as no special skills are required for operating the machine.