Posts by Shivani
In a diverse and vast nation like India, 68.7%of the population inhabits rural areas (Source World Bank 2011). There is still a high dependence on agriculture. Between 1980 and 2011 agriculture dependent population in India grew by 50%, which was the highest for any country in world (Source ToI). There is an increased demand for better technology, infrastructure and relevant accessible information to support agriculture and livelihood sector owing to high dependence.
Responding to this urgent requirement for practical answers to the complicated issues, an initiative has been taken in which time and distance will not be barriers any more for farmers at village level.
This is a pilot initiative in of Practical Answers in 2 states of Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan in partnership with READ India. Under the pilot project, the queries of farmers are collected by field based coordinators through individual and group interaction and the farmers can also post their queries through mobile phone on a toll free number. The queries are responded to by an agricultural expert based in Delhi. The answers are posted back through mobile technology within 72 hours which can then be accessed by farmers.
A very early reaction to the pilot initiative by Practical Answers has been welcomed by farmers in Geejgarh village in Rajasthan by saying “ time and distance will not matter for us now for obtaining practical advice on agriculture ……..”3 Comments » | Add your comment
- Bio-dyke protects Bangalipur community
- Making the invisible Eco-Warriors; the informal Waste Pickers, visible
- A new STEM challenge – Stop the Spread
- Universal energy access: what’s gender got to do with it?
- Success Story of a Water Initiative
- Money Matters: what role for finance in achieving universal energy access?
- Gender Transformative Change Is Our Priority
- DRR (Disaster Risk Reduction) has become Urgent
- Technologies for bringing back roofs over the heads of earthquake victims
- Roxana Añez – Empowered by emergency
- Story of Kopila Chaudhary — how knowledge transformed my life
- Talking shit at FSM4 Conference – Feedback on our sanitation work in Bangladesh
- Programmes (997)
- Where we work (737)
- News and campaigns (1,235)
- Fundraising (162)
- Practical Answers (84)
- Practical Action Consulting (29)
- Schools (99)
Popular topics#BAD2014 Access to services adaptation Africa agriculture Bangladesh blog Blog Action Day CEO climate change communications Copenhagen 2009 development disaster risk reduction drought East Africa Education Energy energy access flood food security Fundraising gender ICTs Julie Brown Kenya Kenya visit Nepal News and campaigns New Technologies new technology Peru policy poverty Practical Action Reducing vulnerability renewable energy sanitation schools Schumacher STEM Sudan technology technology justice water
Admin and RSS feeds